NW-27: NASHVILLE, DAVIDSON COUNTY, TN
Original location. In the vicinity of present day 8th Avenue North and Clay Street, east of the front entrance gates to St. Cecilia Convent.
Historical information sent by Sarah Foster Kelley to Fletch Coke, on February 2, 2000.
John E. Beck, Jr. and his wife, Lavinia (Robertson) Beck built their home, "Buena Vista", on this property about 1812. Lavinia was the daughter of Charlotte and James Robertson. According to Sarah Foster Kelley, John E. Beck, Jr. was born on June 13, 1783 and died on June 22, 1818. He was buried in the family cemetery at "Buena Vista". (Obituary in The Nashville Whig and Tennessee Advertiser, June 27, 1818) After Beck’s death, his widow married John Brown Craighead in 1823.
Cemetery Removed. According to Sarah Foster Kelley, the graves from the Beck Cemetery were removed to Mt. Olivet Cemetery on June 9, 1870. Fletch Coke checked the microfilm records of Mr. Olivet Cemetery interment records at the Metro Archives on February 22, 2002.
Mt. Olivet Interment records. Lot 33 Section 6
Transferred from private grounds and re-interred on June 9, 1870
John T. Hill; Robert Hill; Romulus Harrison; Atchisson (?) & child;
Mrs. Craighead; John E. Beck; Mrs. Payne; 3 children of Mr. Snyder
Update: June 12, 2015