CALVARY CEMETERY (Historical Information)
(Not Surveyed in Davidson County Cemetery Project)
Calvary Catholic Cemetery, owned by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Nashville, is located at 1001 Lebanon Pike, Nashville, Tennessee.
The land for the future Calvary Cemetery was purchased by Patrick Augustine Feehan, third Catholic Bishop of Tennessee, in 1868. The opening day of Calvary Cemetery is detailed in The Catholic Church in Tennessee,
by Thomas Stritch, published in 1987. Pages 169 –170.
"The cemetery dedication, on November 29, 1868, was a grand affair. The procession of carriages was preceded by a band and twenty neatly uniformed policemen. Then came the bishop’s carriage, with four priests accompanying him. There then followed carriages containing members of the St. Vincent de Paul Society,
the Society of St. Mary’s Orphan Asylum, the St. Joseph’s Abstinence Society, the school children from the Sisters of Mercy School, and carriages containing citizens. The line of carriages was so long that there was no point along the route from which the entire procession could be viewed at one time. At the new cemetery, Bishop Feehan preached to from 3,000 to 4,000 people… The forty-seven acres cost the diocese $15,000, a great
bargain. Many Catholic families removed to it the bones of their ancestors from the old Nashville Catholic Cemetery on Cherry Street, now Fourth Avenue South."
Inquiries may be made directly to the Calvary Cemetery Administration Office about family members buried in the cemetery.
RESEARCH REPORT. MARCH 28, 2005
Visit the website of Calvary Catholic Cemetery, Nashville, TN.. for additional information.
Updated Report. 7-14-2013