Home‎ > ‎Cemeteries D-F‎ > ‎

Dickinson, Charles Box Tomb (Lost)

NW-45: NASHVILLE, DAVIDSON COUNTY, TN.  Original location West Davidson Co.
 
Charles Dickinson was killed in a duel with Andrew Jackson that took place in Logan County, Kentucky.  He died on May 30, 1806.  His funeral took place in Nashville on
June 3, 1806, and he was buried on the family farm of his father-in-law, Joseph Erwin.
Nashville newspaper, Impartial Review, June 14, 1806, printed an number of pieces of correspondence written before the duel.  Two of these pieces:
On Friday, the 30th inst., we agree                        It is agreed that the distance shall be 24
to meet at Harrison’s Mills                                    feet, the parties to stand facing each other,
on Red River, in Logan County,                            with their Pistols down perpendicularly.
State of Kentucky, for the purpose                        When they are ready the single word fire
of settling an affair of honor, between                    to be given at which they are to fire as soon
Gen. Andrew Jackson and Charles                       as they please.  Should either fire before the
Dickinson, Esq. – further arrangements                  word is given, we pledge ourselves to shoot                        
to be made.  It is understood that the                     him down instantly.   Thomas Overton
meeting will be at the hour of seven                                                       Hanson Catlet  
in the morning.  Hanson Catlet                               Nashville, May 24th, 1806                                    
  Thomas Overton                
Nashville, May 23rd, 1806
 
Chancery Court Records, Davidson County, November 30, 1876. Plans of Charles Bosley Tract.  A line drawing shows Harding Turnpike with side roads, houses, springs, mounds and graves.   Under the drawing was written:    “The above plan correctly represents a Survey of the cultivated Fields of the Chas. Bosley Tract now the property of Gertrude B. Bowling, as done under the order N. Baxter, C & M.   W. W. Southgate, DSDC.”    Near the house identified as “Hynes Mansion” is an identified grave site marked “Dickinson’s grave.”  Across Harding Turnpike were identified the “Bosley Mansion” and “Bosley Springs.”   A garden and a tomb were drawn next to the Mansion on the Bosley property.
 
In the 1911 publication of Beautiful Homes In and Near Nashville,  by Mrs. James. E. Caldwell, a photograph of the box tomb of Charles Dickinson was identified.  According to family records, there was only one grave, that of Charles Dickinson, in the cemetery.
 
From information in the Nashville Banner, dated May 28, 1966, Wirt Armstead Cate, a Nashville historical writer was quoted as saying “for as long as Nashvillians can remember, a spot on what was once the old Capt. Joseph Erwin’s plantation was pointed out as Dickinson’s burial place.  A box tomb once stood there but was removed in 1923, when the plantation was subdivided and a bulldozer struck the edge of the tomb.”
 
Dan Allen, Archaeologist, located Charles Dickinson's original grave, at 216 Carden Avenue, in 2009. With the approval of descendants of the Dickinson's wife (Jane Erwin Dickinson), the remains were re-interred at the Nashville City Cemetery in 2010 on the Andrew Hynes lot.  An exact replica of the box tomb was placed above Dickinson's grave.  For more information, visit the Nashville City Cemetery web site.
 
 
Report: 2010
Comments