Home‎ > ‎Cemeteries D-F‎ > ‎

Ewing, Nathan Cemetery

OH-38:  NASHVILLE, DAVIDSON COUNTY TN.  Near Granny White Pike.
 
In May 1, 1935, Ewing family members gathered at the Nashville City Cemetery for the dedication of a bronze marker on the tomb of Andrew Ewing, the first Clerk of the Davidson County Court.  This date was chosen to commemorate the signing of the Cumberland Compact in 1780, and as the anniversaries of the deaths of Andrew Ewing on May 1, 1813, and of his son Nathan Ewing, May 1,1831, who also served as County Court Clerk.
 
Andrew Ewing bought 228 acres near Middle Franklin Road (later called Granny White Pike) in 1792, where he lived with his wife Susannah and his children.  By the time of Andrew Ewing’s death in 1813, he and his wife Susannah were living in town.  His son Nathan lived on the family place and the burial of Andrew Ewing took place there.  Burials continued in the family cemetery with Mrs. Andrew Ewing (Susannah) in 1818,  Nathan and his brother Andrew Ewing who died on the same day, May 1, 1830.  Nashville Whig reported that “the two brothers united in death were deposited in one common grave.” Their deaths occurred 17 years after their father’s death to the day.
 
In 1833, Albert G. Ewing sold the 100 acres of the tract where the Ewing Cemetery was located to Joseph & Robert Woods.  The Davidson County deed recorded, on December 3, 1833,  “Reserving however out of the above described (100 acres) one Quarter of an Acre of Land including the present grave-yard in the center thereof, for the special use and purposes of a grave-yard or burying ground for the family & descendants of Nathan Ewing deceased, with a free and undisturbed passage, or way thereto for ingress and egress forever.” 
 
 
In 1911, Albert Ewing, Jr., prepared a list of those buried,  with the inscriptions from their tombstones, in the Ewing Cemetery. These inscriptions were later published in 1933,  in Tennessee Records. Tombstone Inscriptions and Manuscripts, compiled by
Mrs. Jeannette Tillotson Acklen.  The following inscriptions were listed:
 
Andrew Ewing, born in the State of Pennsylvania, March 17, 1740; educated in the
Quaker persuasion of the mild and benignant principles of the sect, he was the brightest
ornament; he died May 1, 1813, age, 75 years;  proverbially good, honest and charitable. He lived as he died, in peace with all men; the first clerk of Davidson County, from October, 1783 until April 1813.
 
Sacred to the memory of Susannah Ewing, consort of Andrew Ewing, buried by her side,  born in Philadelphia.  Dec. 25, 1737 – Oct. 31, 1818, age, 80 years, 10 months, 5 days.
 
 
 
To the memory of Nathan Ewing, Feb. 17, 1776 – May 1, 1830.  This monument is dedicated by his surviving wife and sons as a testimony of their love for his person and their respect for his virtues.  By his virtues he raised to himself a monument more precious than gold, more durable than marble.
 
Dr. John O. Ewing, a native and citizen of Nashville, Tenn., June 16, 1800 – Feb. 28, 1826, age, 25 years, 8 months, 12 days.  He leaves his parents, Nathan and Sarah Ewing, and his wife, Lamaria A.
 
Hill,  infant son of J. O. and L. S. Ewing, born and died, Feb. 27, 1825.
 
Susannah Ewing, July 15, 1813 – Sept. 13, 1814.
 
Dan H. Ewing, born 26th of May, 1817, and died the same day, son of Nathan and Sallie Ewing.
 
John Ewing, infant son of J. M. and Charlotte C. Smith, Aug. 19, 1826 – Sept. 19, 1826, age, 1 month.
 
Martha Ann, only daughter of Joel M. and Charlotte C. Smith, June 30, 1824 – Dec. 11, 1835, age, 11 years, 6 months, 19 days.
 
Sacred to the memory of Henry Bateman, our dear father, born June 14, 1781.
 
Erected in memory of Elizabeth Sluder, consort of A. B. Sluder, and daughter of Wm. and Lucinda Garner, who departed this life 1835, age, 46 years, 4 months, 20 days.
 
To W. G. E., infant son of A. B. and Elizabeth Sluder, who departed this life, Aug. 14, 1835, age, 5 months, 6 days.
 
“To Mac Bean”
 
End of Inscriptions from 13 Tombstones recorded in 1911 in the Ewing Cemetery
 
In 1935, Ewing family members decided to remove five of the graves and tombstones from the Nathan Ewing Cemetery to the Nashville City Cemetery.  By this date, the cemetery had become overgrown and practically lost to sight with many tombstones  destroyed.    Those tombstones still intact were relocated to the City Cemetery and are identified in bold print in the above listing.   The tombstones of Andrew Ewing, his wife Susannah Ewing, Nathan Ewing, Susannah Ewing (1813-1814), Dan H. Ewing are located in Section 8 Lot 1 of the Nashville City Cemetery.
 
The Nathan Ewing graveyard site is designated as a  “Cemetery”  on the survey maps
of the Metro Planning Commission with a Map and Parcel ID and thus protected.
 
Report.  4-7-2004
Comments