MARTHA HOOPER CEMETERY
NW-52: NASHVILLE, DAVIDSON COUNTY, TN.
ORIGINAL LOCATION: NEAR EWING LANE & EWING’S CREEK
In Tombstone Inscriptions and Manuscripts, compiled by Mrs. Jeannette T. Acklen and published in 1933, there was reference to a cemetery with one marked tombstone for Martha Hooper and her infant daughter. This cemetery was reported, at that time, to be located near another Hooper Cemetery. This larger Hooper Cemetery was surveyed in the Davidson County Cemetery Survey project in 2003. To view this cemetery, return to the Cemetery Index and click-on Hooper Cemetery. From Tombstone Inscriptions and Manuscripts can be learned the following:
“About half a mile distant , on the opposite side of the creek, is an older graveyard, located on land formerly owned by Capt. Joseph Hooper, another son of Absalom Hooper. Only one grave is marked, that of Martha Hooper and her infant daughter. Martha Hooper was the daughter of Capt. Jos. Hooper and Elizabeth Sugg Hooper and the first wife of Claiborne Young Hooper.”
During 2004 & 2005, Paul R. White sent historical information to the Davidson County Cemetery Survey project and became involved with a search for the Hooper Cemetery where Martha Hooper was buried. Mr. White reported that family records indicated that Absalom Hooper, Sr., and Joseph Hooper, both Revolutionary War soldiers, were buried in this older Hooper Cemetery. In Mr. White’s book Taproots: A Virginia & Carolina Legacy, the following history was provided:
“Absalom Hooper, Sr. was born about 1740 in the Edgefield District of South Carolina near the North Carolina line. He was a Private in the First Company, First Regiment of the South Carolina Continental Line in February 1780 and was present in garrison at the Siege of Charleston during the Revolution. Soon after the war, he went to the Natchez Trace settlement in Mississippi, and from there to Davidson County, Tennessee, about 1783, settling on a 230 acre land grant given him for his war service. This land was located on the north side of the Cumberland River and on both sides of White’s Creek, which was actually Ewing’s Creek, a branch of White’s, where he died in 1813. Somewhere in this location he deeded land to the Methodist Church and built Hooper’s Chapel, the first Methodist Church in Davidson County, with the exception of McKendree in downtown Nashville. Hooper’s Chapel has been commemorated by the erection at the intersection of Ewing Drive and Richmond Hill Road in Nashville the following marker:”
Extensive study of maps and on-site inspections of the area has not revealed the location of the earlier Hooper Cemetery, where Martha Hooper and her infant were buried and where perhaps Absalom and Joseph Hooper were also buried.
RESEARCH REPORT: JANUARY 5, 2008