Home‎ > ‎Cemeteries M-O‎ > ‎

May, Dr. Francis Grave (Removed)

NW-46: NASHVILLE, DAVIDSON COUNTY, TN.  Original location unknown.
 
Dr. Francis May moved from Winchester, Virginia, to Nashville in 1790.  He practiced medicine in Nashville for several years.   Later he moved to Knoxville.  While living there, he married Mary McConnell White, the daughter of General James White, the founder of Knoxville. The May family returned to Nashville in 1804.  Dr. May continued to practice medicine until his untimely death of heart disease in 1817, leaving a widow and five children.  Three years later, Mary May married Judge John Overton of Travellers Rest. 
 
Nashville Whig carried the obituary for Dr. Francis May on Monday, December 1, 1817.
                        Died – In this place on Wednesday, 28th inst., Doctor Francis May,
                        an eminent Physician.  Dr. May bore the illness which relieved him
                        of all sublunary cares, with singular fortitude. In the death of this
                        gentleman, society has lost a valuable member – one who has done
                        much to relieve the afflictions of the human family.  An amiable and
                        affectionate wife, with several children, sustain the irreparable loss of
                        a husband and parent.
                             -- Lately in Madison county, A. Territory, Major John Hutchings
 
Mrs. Mary Overton survived her husband, Judge John Overton, by 29 years.  In her will, written on October 18, 1861, she gave specific directions to her executors regarding the purchase of a lot at Mt. Olivet Cemetery.  Mrs. Overton died in December 1862.  Her will authorized the purchase of the cemetery lot and the removal from the family graveyard at Travellers Rest, “the remains of her husband Judge Overton, her brother in law Samuel, her daughter Ann O. Brinkley, her son Jackson May, and her son in law Richard Barry and his two children.”   Lot 141  Section 1,  at Mt. Olivet Cemetery, was purchased on December 29, 1862, and the Lot Owner’s name was listed M. M. Overton (Mary M. Overton).  The above mentioned were re-interred at Mt. Olivet on November 20, 1868.   No mention was made in her will regarding removal of the remains of her first husband, Dr. Francis May, to Mt. Olivet.  The Interment Records of Mt. Olivet Cemetery, however, show that, during the previous year,  on June 26, 1867,  “the remains of Dr. May”  had been  “transferred from private grounds”  and buried on Lot 141, Section 1, the Mary M. Overton Lot.   Col. John Overton, the only son of Judge John and Mary Overton, was the executor of his mother’s will and would have made arrangements for the re-interments at Mt. Olivet Cemetery, including the re-interment of Dr. Francis May.
 
 
Report: 3-12-2004
Comments