NW-12: NASHVILLE, DAVIDSON COUNTY, TN. TENNESSEE STATE CAPITOL
The marker for Samuel D. Morgan, Chairman of the Building Commission for the Tennessee State Capitol, Nashville, Tennessee, is located in the East Wall of the South Portico of the building.
Samuel Morgan was born in Staunton, Virginia, on November 8, 1798. The family moved to Maryville, Tennessee, and later to Huntsville, Alabama. He attended the University of Nashville in college and then moved to Nashville in 1833. The Tennessee Legislature called upon Mr. Morgan to serve as the Chairman of the Building Commission for the Tennessee State Capitol. The cornerstone for the Capitol was laid on July 4, 1845. Mr. Morgan was engaged in the wholesale dry goods business before the Civil War. After the war, he established the Tennessee Manufacturing Company. On June 10, 1880, Mr. Morgan died in Nashville and was buried in the Gardner Vault at Mt. Olivet Cemetery, Nashville. The Legislature, by resolution, gave permission for the burial of his remains in a niche in the East wall of the South Portico. Marker reads:
SAMUEL D. MORGAN
DIED JUNE 10, 1880
THE STATE HERE GIVES REPOSE TO THE REMAINS OF THIS EMINENT AND USEFUL CITIZEN
IN RECOGNITION OF THE VALUABLE SERVICES RENDERED BY HIM IN THE BUILDING OF
BURIED IN THE GARDNER VAULT OF MT. OLIVET CEMETERY.
IN RECOGNITION OF HIS YEARS OF DEVOTED SERVICE
AND WITH CONSENT OF THE FAMILY
AN OFFICIAL ACT OF THE LEGISLATURE
AUTHORIZED HIS INTERMENT IN THE STATE CAPITOL.
AT NOON ON DECEMBER 24, 1881, HIS REMAINS
WERE PLACED IN THE EAST WALL OF THE CAPITOL SOUTH PORTICO.
SITE SURVEYED APRIL 8, 2003