Nashville National Cemetery is located at 1420 Gallatin Road South in Madison, Tennessee. Gates open for visitation during daylight hours. The cemetery is located about six miles north of Nashville. The 64.5-acre cemetery contains 34,461 Interments, through fiscal Year 2004.
Visit the Nashville National Cemetery website for more information. On this website is a direct Link to the National Gravesite Locator, provided by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
According to the information on the Nashville National Cemetery website:
Most of the land for Nashville National Cemetery was acquired shortly after the Civil War. In July, 1866, 45 acres were transferred to the United States by Morton B. Howell, Master of the Chancery Court of Nashville, in accordance with the decree of the court. During the first few months of 1867, another 17 acres were conveyed in the same manner. The final portion, about 1 ½ acres was purchased by the United States in 1879 from J. Watts Judson. The original interments were the remains of soldiers removed from temporary burial grounds around Nashville’s general hospitals as well as the Civil War battlefields at Franklin and Gallatin, Tennessee, and Bowling Green and Cave City, Kentucky.
Updated Report. 7-14-2013