THOMPSON CEMETERY (REMOVED)
OH-54: NASHVILLE, DAVIDSON COUNTY, TN.
ORIGINAL LOCATION: “GLEN LEVEN” ON FRANKLIN PIKE
The original property owner of the land, which was later called “Glen Leven” was Thomas Thompson who held a land grant for 640 acres in 1784. Later the land holdings of the Thompson family, along the Franklin Pike, would grow to 1000 acres.
In 1929, the land of the Thompson Estate, to the west of Franklin Pike, was subdivided and developed. The subdivision survey was conducted in September 1929 by W. B. Southgate, Surveyor. The house “Glen Leven” and the farm acreage around the house, to the east of Franklin Pike, continued in family hands. In 2007, the house and surrounding 65 acres were bequeathed by Susan West, great-great-great granddaughter of the original property owner, Thomas Thompson, to The Land Trust for Tennessee.
On February 10, 1882, John M. Thompson was buried in Section 9 Lot 91 at Mt. Olivet Cemetery. The lot owner’s name was listed as “John M. Thompson.” Within the next month, on March 11, 1882, the graves in the Thompson family cemetery at “Glen Leven” were removed and re-interred at Mt. Olivet Cemetery in Section 9 Lot 91. The names of the following eight family members were listed as “Removals” in the Mt. Olivet Interment Book:
T. S. Thompson
Mary E. Thompson
Sallie (Thompson) Campbell
On February 23, 2007, two tombstone inscriptions were recorded in Section 9 Lot 91 at Mt. Olivet Cemetery. Monuments for two Thompson family members:.
N. C. INFANTRY
OCT. 2, 1759 – MAR. 24, 1837
(modern Military Marker)
JOHN THOMPSON The richest legacy he left his
BORN IN family was that no act of his life
DAVIDSON CO. TENN. ever sullied his honor or
JUNE 1, 1793 detracted from his good name.
DIED APR. 18. 1876
RESEARCH REPORT: JANUARY 5, 2008