Home‎ > ‎Cemeteries S-U‎ > ‎

Tucker-Hayes Cemetery

TUCKER              Born: 1821          Died: 1871                                                       
Front inscription: STEPHEN P. TUCKER/ BORN/ OCT. 1, 1821/ DIED/ FEB. 6, 1871             
TUCKER              Born: 1820          Died: 1862                                                       
Front inscription: HARRIET TUCKER/ BORN/ JAN. 22, 1820/ DIED/ SEPT. 22, 1862               
CARPENTER      Born: 1852          Died: 1931                                                       
Front inscription: MARY T. CARPENTER/ BORN/ APR. 9, 1852/ DIED/ JUL 17, 1931               
Footstone: YES   Footstone inscription: NONE         
CARPENTER      Born: 1851          Died: 1904                                                       
Front inscription: M.C. CARPENTER/ BORN/ DEC. 25, 1851/ DIED/ SEPT. 8, 1904     
CARPENTER      Born: 1871          Died: 1892                                                       
Front inscription: ELLA C. CARPENTER/ BORN/ SEPT 3, 1871/ DIED/ OCT 1, 1892     
Front inscription: OLIVER H. HAYES/ SR./ 1857-1916/ STEPHEN T. HAYES/ 1891-1915         
Footstone: YES   Footstone inscription: S.T.H.          
Front inscription: FANNIE T. HAYES/ 1857-1899/ HENRY B. HAYES/ 1882-1899                     
Footstone: YES   Footstone inscription: F.T.H & H.B.H          
Front inscription: HUNT/ FATHER/ WILLIAM LISTON/ MAY 26, 1847/ NOV. 22, 1933/ MOTHER/ WILLIE JOEL/ SEPT. 8, 1875/ JULY 12, 1942
Front inscription: RUFUS TINSLEY HUNT/ 1854-1924/ EMMA EVANS HUNT/ 1855-1935
William Corn sent information to the Davidson County Cemetery Survey project on November 20, 2005, from his family research files on burials at the Tucker-Hayes Cemetery. 
William Alexander Hill
1847 – Feb. 1, 1900
Buried at the family cemetery, 9 miles Granny White Pike.  No marker
Son of Alexander Hill and Omega Bumpass Hill.   Probable place of burial also
for Alexander Hill.  Omega Bumpas Hill buried at Spring Hill Cemetery.
William Liston and Willie Joel Carpenter Hunt
Double Marker
Son of Holbert Hunt and Margaret Catherine Hill Hunt.  She was the daughter of John and Margaret Covington Hill. 
William L. Hunt & Willie Joel Hunt
Double Marker
William L. Hunt
Tennessee Death Certificate 1933. No. 22867
Willie Joel Hunt
Tennessee Death Certificate 1942. No. 13958
Rufus Tinsley Hunt
Obituary Nashville Tennessean April 7, 1924
Death Certificate Vol. 14. Page 239
Emma Evans Hunt
Wife of Rufus Tinsley Hunt
Died July 20, 1935.
Death Certificate No. 14986
John Hill  Died 1859
His Wife Margaret Hill  Died 1873
John Hill. Soldier at Battle of New Orleans
John Hill owned property on Granny White Pike & present-day Otter Creek Road
Possible burial site or in a cemetery razed in the Otter Creek Road area
Additions to Tucker-Hayes Cemetery web site listing.  April 2006

Metro Historical Commission Awards Program 2010.  A special recognition award for cemetery preservation was made to the Tucker-Hayes Cemetery.  Mary Lou Gallagher and her New Neighbors Garden Club were the sponsors of the archaeological investigation of the graveyard site and for the restoration of the tombstones. Dan Allen was in charge of the project.

Historical Sign placed at Tucker-Hayes Cemetery 2013. Approval was given by Metro Beautification for the signage placement.

Update Report.  August 10, 2013
Tucker-Hayes Cemetery.  
"Dyer Observatory Plays Integral Role in Preserving Historic Cemetery"
By Kara Furlong.  June 8, 2010

An historic Nashville cemetery has been cleaned and restored thanks to the efforts of some caring neighbors, including the staff of Vanderbilt Dyer Observatory.

Tucker-Hayes Cemetery, located at Granny White Pike and Oman Drive in the Oak Hill neighborhood, is the final resting place for several members of the Tucker, Hayes, Hunt, Carpenter and Hill families. The oldest marked grave is that of Harriet Tucker, who was born in 1820 and died in 1862.  The most recent grave belongs to William Joel Hunt (1875-1942) who is buried alongside her husband William Liston Hunt (1847-1933).

Community volunteer Fletch Coke and others initially recorded the inscriptions on the cemetery's five single and four double headstones in 1999 at the launch of the Davidson County Cemetery Survey. In 2005, William Corn, a descendant of those buried at the cemetery, provided additional information from family records. A history of the Tucker-Hayes Cemetery is on file at Metro Archives.  

The cemetery was voluntarily maintained for nearly 45 years by members of the Foster family, who own adjacent property in the wooded residential area, until they were no longer able to do so.  In spring 2008, Mary Lou Gallagher of the New Neighbors Garden Club noticed that the cemetery had become overgrown and the headstones were in need of professional cleaning and resetting.  The Club obtained a private donation to underwrite a conservation effort at the cemetery.  Archaeologist and stone conservator Dan Allen of the Cumberland Research Group conducted an archaeological survey and made improvements at the cemetery during the summer of 2008. 

In 2009, Vanderbilt Dyer Observatory, the cemetery's neighbor on Oman Drive, was approached to take over its lawn care.  "As a concerned and interested neighbor, we were pleased to partner with the Oman Drive neighbors, the High Valley neighbors, Metro Archives, Metro Water Services, the New Neighbors Garden Club and the Davidson County Cemetery Survey to help preserve the cemetery," said Lynn McDonald, a program coordinator at Dyer Observatory. The project became a personal passion for McDonald and many of the Dyer staff, including Director Rocky Alvey and Maintenance Supervisor Nathan Griffin.

"Dr. Arnold Heiser, former Dyer director, knew that a former astronomy student, Jim Hunt (VA 1967) was related to the Hunts who are buried there," McDonald said.  "During Jim's annual visit from California to Nashville, he always visits Dyer.  I met him and learned more about the cemetery and its history."

"Part of our mission is to be in the community in a way that makes sense," Alvey said.  "We are all about looking to the future while respecting the history of our community."

Earlier this year, Metro Water Services completed a two-year project that created a new parking area in front of the cemetery and new fencing, as well as grading and re-seeding the grounds. The City of Oak Hill was requested to approve a sign explaining the history of the cemetery. The cemetery is open the public.

All these efforts earned the Tucker-Hayes Cemetery recognition from Metro Historical Commission. The Commission handed out its 35th Annual Preservation Awards on May 11, 2010, at the Nashville Public Library.

Dyer Observatory will continue to maintain the cemetery grounds in the future. "Often in life, the things that need our attention are right in front of us," said Christine Bradley, Assistant Vice Chancellor for Community, Neighborhood and Government Relations at Vanderbilt."  Bradley continued,  "Preserving the history of a cemetery not only honors those who have passed, but it honors the history in all of us, connecting us to what was and what can be. Tucker-Hayes Cemetery shares a history with Dyer.  It was there when Dyer was just a dream and it continues to be part of the experience of the mountain.  It only makes sense to preserve the cemetery."

Dyer Observatory Report. Added to website.  March 2014